Loomis (formerly, Pine, Pino, Smithville, and Placer is an incorporated town in Placer County, California, United States. It is part of the Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–RosevilleMetropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 6,430 at the 2010
The Place post office opened on the site in 1861, changed its name to Smithville in 1862, changed its name to Pino in 1869, and finally to Loomis in 1890. The name Smithville honors L.G. Smith, who was one of the town's most prominent leaders.
Loomis takes its name from one the of town's pioneers, James Loomis. At one time, James Loomis was the whole town—saloon keeper, railroad agent, express agent, and postmaster. In the early part of the 20th century, Loomis was the second largest fruit-shipping station in Placer County.
Loomis remained part of unincorporated Placer County until December 17, 1984, when the Town of Loomis officially incorporated. The town was in danger of being annexed by its neighbor Rocklin and the residents voted to incorporate to preserve local control, partly on the issue of preserving the "small town" character and historic structures such as the High Hand and Blue Goose fruit packing sheds which sit between Taylor Road (a segment of historic Highway 40) and the Union Pacific Railroad tracks.
Loomis is home to Del Oro High School. Foundation elementary schools for Del Oro High School are Placer Elementary School, Franklin Elementary School, Loomis Grammar School, H. Clarke Powers Elementary School, Penryn School, Ophir School, Newcastle School, and the newly opened Loomis Basin Charter School.